The Production Manager will be responsible for the overall daily operating performance of a 3-shift plastics molding operation with approximately 25 full time employees. Duties typically include; raw material ordering, production and scheduling, customer order processing, part price quoting, staff management and overall coordination with customer care, maintenance, accounting and other Carris Reels divisions. All work is conducted under an umbrella of continuous improvement to assure our people, products, processes and facilities are better every day.
- Lead all Carris Reels VT Plastics Division employee-owners (EOs) in building an ever-improving safety culture that delivers world class results.
- Directly responsible for execution of continuous improvement activities in; Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost and Culture.
- Drive lean manufacturing initiatives that identify and eliminate waste while improving safety and culture. Activities may include; 6S setup reduction, standard work, visual controls, etc.
- Advance EO engagement by coordinating improvement events that include participation from EOs at all levels.
- Communicate clearly, openly and timely with EOs.
- Lead EO performance appraisals that set SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Timely) goals and targets while providing a clear path for achieving lasting improvements.
- Direct daily production, scheduling, and distribution of sales orders while fully engaging all shifts, supervisors, leads and departments.
- Analyze operations and finances to continuously improve and to achieve a high level of safety, quality, and productivity.
- Interface with other company divisions, suppliers, or customers to ensure smooth coordination of scheduling and to achieve desired results.
- Determine customer pricing structures for accounts (new and existing) and manage sales accounts as needed.
- Oversee purchasing of plastic materials: research and contract new suppliers for plastic resins, negotiate pricing, and coordinate delivery schedule.
- Generate and maintain resin material data and graphs for internal company communications/analysis and external customer information.
- Requisition supplies and manage contracts with suppliers for uniforms, paper products, pallets, etc. as needed.
- Other duties as assigned and required.
- 5-years of manufacturing experience in plastics injection molding and/or extruding operations with steadily increasing levels of responsibility.
- 3-years of measurably demonstrated leadership success in a multi-shift manufacturing operation.
- Formal training in Lean Manufacturing. Green Belt certification required, Black Belt certification preferred.
- High school diploma required, Bachelors Degree preferred.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of injection molding presses, plastic extruders and associated equipment, material and processes
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Mechanical aptitude with good troubleshooting skills
- Foresight and project planning skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good judgment and independent thinking
- Problem solving skills and process control abilities
- Quality oriented
- Ability to create a comfortable work atmosphere and maintain high morale of EOs.
- Possess computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office programs, like Word and Excel. Working knowledge of MS Access and MRP/ERP systems is preferred